Wednesday, January 15, 2014

We Shouldn't Love God

We Shouldn't Love God by Mervin Chiang
We Shouldn't Love God, a photo by Mervin Chiang on Flickr.

Just documenting the key points from the Ignite Training Conference evening talks for the past 2 nights for myself. I feel that LT has really summed it up and reminded me of the what it is to be a Christian and what it means be part of His Church.

"To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons:" - Phil 1:1

Paul addressed the Church as "all the saints"... IN Christ Jesus. He then also said "..,WITH the overseers and deacons". This means WE [Christians] are all "the saints" he is addressing when we see Philippi as the church he is talking to. Not just leaders of the church. LT then went on to expand on what it means to be "IN" Christ. Hence the title... This concept is simple yet profoundly complicated (at least for me) when I first heard of it... We shouldn't [just try to] love God, we should really stand in awe of His love for us and can't help it but love Him back uncontrollably. Its a REACTION to His love and not an ACTION in order to gain His favour.

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain" - Phil 1:21

This statement was the "catch phrase" for night two and also said to be the defining statement to describe Paul. LT also talked about what a pastor, closed ones and friends would talk about at my (our) funeral. Would they say, "For Mervin, to live is Christ and to die is gain"? That's the challenge for ALL of the church and ALL Christians. So I was challenged once again to not just live FOR Christ, but to live IS Christ. It means to be so consumed by Christ and the gospel that all my actions, thinking, talking and being are an overflow from the REACTION to God's love through Christ. That is to further His Kingdom.

What do we do this weekend? What do we do tonight? What shall my next career move be? Shall we eat out tonight? Where should my kids go to school? Should my kids take up that class? Should I buy that car? Where should we go for holiday? What should I be chatting about at drinks with my workmates?... Are answers to these questions and more in my life driven uncontrollably from my over abundant longing and love of Christ and God's kingdom to eternity? Or am I struggling to remember to pray and when I do, I go..."oh, let's pray that God blesses us with this or that..."? Notice how we dare not say "give us" but "blesses us" :)

Looking forward to 2 more nights of goodness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment