Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Aperture Size Does Matter


2-8 vs 1-8 sample, originally uploaded by Mervin Chiang.

I was talking to Kev about the coffee pod shot I took a while ago and he mentioned that there wouldn't be a huge difference and I should have a look at using my f/2.8 utility lens instead to take that shot. I thought to produce good "blurring" I should use the widest aperture I can find and that was f/1.8 Although I was complaining about its sharpness.

In my quest to convince myself that I need a lower than 2.8 prime lens that should double up as a Macro (near impossible by the way), I want to evaluate this shot. The top one is at 2.8 and the bottom one is at 1.8. Can you see the difference?! How can I not have a less-than-2.8 prime lens?

But I don't want to carry around a prime portrait lens and another Macro... hmm... I may have a solution, but it would compromise the macro quality. And that is to use those cheapo filter add-ons from HK/China. Will test them out soon!

1 comment:

  1. but Merv... did you compensate using your shutter speed? :)

    ReplyDelete