Sunday, August 15, 2010

Conference Event Photography


ProcessDays 2010-44, originally uploaded by Mervin Chiang.
My biggest nemesis. Taking indoor events are my greatest struggle. I did ProcessDays 2010 this year as a back up photographer and I was somewhat happy with myself. However, the colors were still off and in some cases the lights weren't as good as well.

This shot was my favourite. I borrowed the pro photographer's light box on the left and I used an "assistant" holding a diffused flash on the top right and I fired of the shot remotely. I later used lightroom to make it B&W.

A few lessons learnt during and after the event (thanks Chi!):
1. I like to use AV set to -2 when flash is diffused and bounced off a card at an angle forward. This is for places where ceilings are too high.
2. Chi suggested to bounce off walls. Seemed to be better on the shadows made. Will try next time.
3. Learnt something about the light boxes too. The pro photographer was using a grid looking attachment on the front. Apparently with that it makes a punchier portrait.
4. Multiple colors in the venue does crazy things to the white balance :(
5. Set drive mode to high and always take at least 3 to avoid blinking and funny gestures of the people.

I'll keep trying...

No comments:

Post a Comment