Monday, August 30, 2010

Portrait Experiments


Portraits-4, originally uploaded by Mervin Chiang.

I just decided one day to experiment with my 'O Ring flash attachment in combination with the f/1.4 50mm prime lens with a fish eye attachment on the front. My idea was to get the "Lie to Me" TV series show's portrait shots effect. You know the ones on the wall of the Lightman Group's office. They had white light and the face was very illuminated.

So... The general idea was (based on memory now):
1. O Ring attachment strapped onto my 430ex Flash gun on the camera
2. Fish eye attachment on the prime lens brings the lens to an approximate 40mm mark
3. f/1.4 becomes unusable with this attachment. I set AV to f/2.0 (f/2.2 is better on controlling the "blurness")
4. EV -1
5. Flash set to +0.5 (... I think... or at 0... this is to compensate for the flash going through mirrors and getting absorbed)

This set up is overall quite effective for close up portraits. Not sure if it'll work as well for half body or full body. I don't think so, unless there was a softbox to boost light. Also depends if done in studio or using natural light through window.

Another brainwave was to use my iPad's studio light settings... I got an app the emulates a softbox :-P Will post if I successfully pull if off with iPad as the side-light source...

No comments:

Post a Comment