Sunday, January 30, 2011

What makes up a modern day photographer?


Holga Trial-1, originally uploaded by Mervin Chiang.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Especially when "turning pro" is something I have been toying in my mind more so in the last month. I've been inspired by the people around me and following quite a few good photographers on Facebook. Sparks have been flying in my head when it comes to marketing, business plans, web design, branding etc, etc... some things that excite me and caused a few nostalgic veins to tingle.

So what really makes up a modern day photographer? With the advent of modern day technology and the information age. How as this "diluted" the once exclusive trade? Being a consultant during my "office hours", it is often an occupational hazard to try and "analyse" this and to do a proper feasibility assessment on my decision. So the first thing that has been lingering in my head is regarding what makes up this photographer that we know these days? And I am not talking about the truly famous ones. I am talking about the part-time students, the stay-home mums, the wannabe IT geeks. How did they "turned-pro"?

First up let's look at my guesses of key characteristics. By percentages?"

20% Good gear
30% Creative eye to see and set the frame
10% Post production creativity
10% Charisma and knowledge on how the "work" the subject
10% Technical knowledge on gear and light
20% Guts & commitment to chase a dream and stick to it!

Are the ratings right?

No comments:

Post a Comment