Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Timely Reminder...

I heard this on the radio it struck a nerve. Not that I am exactly guilty of this entirely.. yet.. but still a good reminder. So here is the way the parable goes...

-------------
A little girl greeted her daddy as he entered the door late one night and excitedly asked, "How much do you earn earn an hour daddy?" Getting slightly annoyed and after having a long day, daddy replied, "not now honey. Not even your mum knows how much I earn an hour. Go play." The little girl persisted. "Daddy, can you please tell me how much you earn an hour?" Feeling really frustrated and just wanted to go get a shower, he replied, "$20 an hour. Why do you want to know?" Ignoring the question, she asked, "Can I borrow $10 please?" Getting really mad by now, he remanded, "NO! Go play with your toys, I have no time for this." and left to the bathroom.

Later that night, having calmed down and feeling a little guilty. Daddy thought to himself, "maybe she is trying to work out if I can give her the money to buy something..." So he decided to go to her room hoping she's still not asleep and asked, "Mikaela, are you asleep yet?" To which the little girl sleepily replied, "almost..." "Here's your $10 you asked for." She immediately sprung up took the money and reached under her pillow and grabbed what looked like a mountain of coins and said, "I have enough now! Daddy, can you sell me 1 hour of your time please?"
----------

This story is fictitious, but I am reminded once again to guard myself from this. Between work, photographer, iPhone-time, gardening, social meetings and even church activities! We must not lose ourselves in this sea of activities and forget the simple things like spending dedicated time with our kids. I am guilty of this on several occasions already...

No comments:

Post a Comment