Monday, August 12, 2013

God is Sovereign - So quit complainin'!

God is Sovereign by Mervin Chiang
God is Sovereign, a photo by Mervin Chiang on Flickr.

I know the title seems to take an extremist view on the matter. But it's not... It's just my human fleshly voice getting this dull irritation that has built up to a point where I really need to vent somewhere! So, please read this with a filter on 'cos it's me being human complaining as well :P

So what ticked me off? Small trivial things I guess, but like death-by-a-thousand-cuts, it amounts to some level of irritation. Let me explain... I check Facebook a lot, I guess many knows that. I see lots of posts about people complaining about things. But hey, I'm Singaporean! It's in my blood to complain... Complain about politics, about how politicians don't keep their word, about how the recent "The Bible" documentary is a lousy depiction and theologically off, about the weather, about life... You get the picture?

Recently, I've been struggling with this a little. You see it's a strange cycle I get into... I am sinning because I am judging you when you are judging others when you complain. Get it?

To borrow words from Job, "“I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted." (Job 42:2, ESV)... So let me walk you through my thinking process... You might complain about the Bible documentary, ask about the age and credibility of a speaker on the pulpit or complain about a politician going back on his words... [insert any ranting complains you did here...].. For me I'm goin' how do you know that God is not using this very situation, event, show, person, circumstance for His plans? If you don't get what I mean, go watch Final Destination or Butterfly Effect for more "confusion" :) Anyway, I digress.. So I judge you for judging the situation, event, person, thing. I think to myself "who are you to complain?" Don't you know that God even uses non-believers for his purposes? (See Jer 21:7, and all through the book of Judges and many more examples)

These verses rightly sums up my feelings... "So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?" (Rom 9:18-21, ESV)

Ok ranting over... Friends, I struggle with this myself. I have to diligently catch myself from judging and complaining about things. But please don't fall into this subtle trap of being quick to judge all things. Facebook and twitter has given us easy access to simply take pot-shots at ranting. Please don't do it too often. God's will and sovereignty IMHO is meant for us to do inward reflections... to ask "why has this happened to me or others? Why is it this way? What can I learn from this? What is God trying to do here?" instead of an outward all-guns-blazing-all-finger-pointing words, comments and posting on social media or face-to-face.

1 comment:

  1. I like it Mervin. God worked through Pharaoh to hard his heart. I've also reflected recently that I complain a lot about events, people (when they don't do what I want). Usually reading scripture, even a gospel at random really helps put things into perspective for me. Less complaining, more praising! And one of my favourites - God calls as to excuse, not accuse.

    ReplyDelete