Saturday, August 24, 2013

My Son, My Only Son

My Son, My Only Son by Mervin Chiang
My Son, My Only Son, a photo by Mervin Chiang on Flickr.

He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” - Gen 12:22

Despite whatever critics might say about the new dramatised documentary "The Bible, the TV mini series" (Christians or non-Christians). I implore you to watch it as it is... switch your minds off judgemental-ism. Non-Christian friends, watch it for its cinematography and dramatic almost Hollywood-style action (think 300 or The Gladiators). For Christians, "Zoom" out, not asking you to overlook details, but just take in how certain stories we might know for so long but have never really "seen" and just busk in the wonder and awe of our God's plan laid out in the Bible.

Digressing further... Perhaps it's just me not being able to remember all verses in the Bible and cannot remember all the details. So I can't judge on how accurate or inaccurate things are. It's kind of like me watching DC or Marvel movies. I don't know the stories well in the comic. So I loved Man of Steel for what it is. Again, let me disclaim that I do not endorse any inaccuracies as fact or anything like that. But I guess its just my long-winded way of saying that if you are not too busy judging the show and watch it God might tell you something. Like how He did me...

Now zoom back into episode 2... I was tearing at the scene when Abraham almost took Isaac's life. "Why? We all know the story. Abraham would surely past the test...", you might ask. It's not that. Its how the scene penetrated right into my heart tonight. As early as I can remember, I had known this story. I had always assumed that Abraham so blindly just followed God's command. And Isaac just so obediently lie there to let Abraham do God's command. In reality, there would be aching. there would be anguish. The actors portrayed very human reactions, hesitation and sadness. It kind of reflected a mirror directly at me. "Will I be able to do it?" was the question I asked. Then tears started rolling down my cheeks because I realised my sin and how may I can't! The simple answer lied with "Do I fear God more than my son's life?"...

Let me explain this word "fear". It is not the "afraid" kind of fear. "It is a reverential awe of God; a reverence for His power and glory. However, it is also a proper respect for His wrath and anger. In other words, the fear of the Lord is a total acknowledgement of all that God is, which comes through knowing Him and His attributes." (borrowing from http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-fear.html)

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" Proverbs 9:10a

A simple relaxed Saturday watching of the show has prompted a very simple yet challenging question in my mind and life. Do I fear God? If I do, it means I have faith in Him. This means I can trust Him in all things. ALL things... Even with the life of my son. My career, my life directions, my hard decisions, my future... ALL things... It's all good theory. But when my faith is really tested like Abraham, can I do it? It's easier when we're taking from God... It's harder when we are expected to be obedient. To give, to sacrifice and to NOT be self-centred. What would I do when God asks of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment